Thursday, October 15, 2009

The Last of the Civil War Days

I will admit it. I have been a bad blogger lately. I said that I would have the rest of these pictures up two days ago. I lied. Not on purpose. But, I lied none-the-less. Sorry. Now, get over it. :0)

On to the Civil War Days...

You saw a lot of the camps, cannons, chuck wagons, buildings and things like that. You also met the President. Now, I'll introduce you to more of the common folk.

I think this was a general and his wife. Sorry about the crappy pictures, but my editing software isn't working at the moment. It has to be that - for it surely couldn't be my photography abilities!


I don't exactly know who these 2 fellows were supposed to be, but they were kind enough to let me snap a photo. It amazes me how people dressed up so much more in their day to day life back then than we do now. And they didn't even have sidewalks, for the most part.

I told you how it had rained all week prior to this event and the ground was a muddy mess - even with straw on the ground. I had to throw all of our shoes in the washer when we got home. Yet, they seemed to be dressed to the nines every day. Can you imagine trying to get the mud out of the hem of every dress you owned? Heck, I can't even imagine wearing a dress like that every day. It's a good day when I just put on something other than sweats! Anyway...

There were many shops and craftsmen set up doing their thing, too. This was a blacksmith's shop. I don't know where the blacksmith was, but it was supper time.

We didn't see all of the shops because we didn't want to walk through the knee-deep mud. I'm just barely exaggerating here. But there was a surgeon, a rope maker and a man giving mule rides, among many other things.


This nice woman was weaving rugs on her loom. She was kind enough to show us how it worked. It was really fascinating. You could purchase the rugs as well.



Here, her husband sits cutting pants into strips of cloth with that little device secured to the end of the table. They will use that basket full of cloth strips to make rag rugs.

There was a large tent set up in one area where different presentations were also made during the course of the weekend. We caught the tail end of the one given by a couple of the female slaves of the time. It was really heart-wrenching. They actually had to work in chains. They shared some of the spiritual songs that they would sing to encourage themselves. Some songs were coded messages they sang to one another.

We also caught a bit of a music trio in the big tent. They played the music of the time. One man played the fiddle. One played the guitar. And the last played the bass. Not the bass guitar, but the huge bass you see in orchestra. They were very good.

Well, that about wraps up our visit to the Civil War Days. I'm gonna go make lunch now. Not that you care. I'm just sayin'! :0)

Pam

2 comments:

  1. Hi Pam! Loved the Civil War series. We've been to a couple of local historical re-enactments in our area over the years and really enjoyed it as a family activity. I love how the gentleman dressed back then with those formal vests and long duster coats. And pocket watches.

    The two books I refer to most often are called, Better Health through Natural Healing by Dr. Ross Trattler N.D., D.O. and Dr. Adrian Jones N.D. and Prescription for Nutritional Healing by Phyllis A. Balch, CNC.

    Cherries are good, lol. Though any old berry will do. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAVE A GREAT DAY PAM... GLAD YOU ENJOYED MY POST !

    HUGS FROM MAINE

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like chocolate - totally addicting! Thanks for supporting my habit!