Monday, April 18, 2011

How I Save $30 On A Baking Stone

I have been gone from blogging for quite some time due to computer issues.  Well, I have a new computer now.  The only little glitch I still have is the fact that my new Mac book doesn't have an actual port for my sim card for my camera.  So, pictures will still be a bit of an issue for a bit but I should at least be able to blog. :0)

Today I want to share a recent find with you. We eat homemade pizza on a pretty regular basis here at our house. Getting that lovely crust where you can pick up a gooey slice and eat it without the infamous slide-off due to LCD (Limp Crust Disorder) has been a bit of a challenge, though. I started baking our pizza in my cast iron skillets and griddle which helped, but still didn't give me the results I was looking for.  I needed a pizza stone.

I looked into the stones that a certain Pampered home sales company sells.  A 15" round pizza stone would cost me $34.  Although it would be an investment that would serve me well for many years, I felt that was a little salty.  So, here's what I did.

I went to my local big box hardware store and checked out the 16" square floor tiles.  The gentleman working there told me that he wasn't for sure about the heat rating of those floor tiles.  The stones from the company above are heat rated to withstand higher temperatures.  Floor tiles are able to withstand heat because it is so common to run heating underneath the floor these days, but that only gets up to 100 degrees or so.  It was a risk.  But, at just under $4 it was a risk I was willing to take.  I figured the worst thing that could happen is that the tile would bust in half in my oven if it couldn't withstand the temperature, so I did a test run before baking with food on it.  It did beautifully at 350 degrees, so I felt confident enough to use it with food next time.

I have used my new baking stone quite a bit since I did that first dry run several weeks ago and am happy to report that I have used it in an oven up to 425 degrees.  My pizza crusts are perfect!  It baked a lovely chicken and broccoli braid.  And I made biscuits on it the other night.  Not only could I bake more biscuits at once than on my cookie sheets (I bake a big batch and freeze for future use), but they were the most perfectly baked biscuits I have ever made.  The top crusts were able to get nice and golden without the bottoms getting too brown.

I am so pleased with my new baking stone!  I only wish I had gotten it sooner.  So, if you are in the market for a baking stone, considering saving yourself about $30 and buy a floor tile from your local hardware store.  You'll be glad you did! :o)

Have a great Monday!
Pam

4 comments:

  1. What a great idea! That chicken and broccoli braid sounded pretty yummo, too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, so, so GLAD to see you back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi - found you from your comment on Keeper of the Home. Very innovative way to save money! I just wanted to mention that it's important to make sure that your tile doesn't have a glaze that contains lead or other unsafe (to eat) items - which could leech into your food, especially at high temperatures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here is some great info about how to select a tile and how to prepare it and use it in gas versus electric ovens: http://www.ehow.com/how_5728992_use-tile-pizza-cooking-stone.html

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like chocolate - totally addicting! Thanks for supporting my habit!