Saturday, November 19, 2011

Skin Care Series ~ Witch Hazel Toner

For probably the past 18 years I have used witch hazel exclusively as my toner, until I added another natural toner here recently that I alternate with.  I'll share that one next time.  But, I digress...  Gone are the days of exclusively using Clinique because it was non-comedogenic and dermatologist recommended.  Don't get me wrong, I liked Clinique.  But, it got to be expensive for a newly-wed-barely-making-ends-meet budget.

I've had both a dermatologist and an esthetician tell me that it's the only toner that a person ever needs to use.  Not to mention the countless places I've read about it or heard on television.  And here's why...

Witch hazel is absolutely amazing!  It is a strong anti-oxidant and astringent, making it wonderful for treating acne.  It is also used to treat psoriasis and eczema,  and heal wrinkles (Yes! You read that right!).  It treats bruises, insect bites and varicose veins. It helps prevent sweating of the face and is great for treating a sunburn - both very helpful in summer. :0)  Also, because it is an astringent it is great for treating cuts and scrapes (think styptic pencil), so you might even be able to get your man to start using it!  These are just a few of the fabulous uses of witch hazel.  If you'd like to learn more about it's benefits see hereherehere or here.  There is much more information about witch hazel out there than this, but if you want to do further research on it you're just on your own, Sister!  Yes, I'm nice that way.


To implement witch hazel into your skincare routine, simply pour it into a small spray bottle.  After you wash and dry your face, spritz it on before applying your moisturizer.  Note: You don't want to let it dry before moisturizing.  Putting moisturizer on a slightly damp face will lock in moisture much better.  And, that's it.

Not only is this super simple, but it's super cheap.


The Dickinson's witch hazel is $2.99 per bottle.  Compare that to the price of your current toner.  But, look at the price of the Meijer store brand - just $1.69 per bottle.  I compared ingredients and they are same.  Guess which one I buy?  Witch hazel is a product that works really hard for very little pay.

Now it's your turn to share.  Do you use toner?  What kind?

Go here if you're interested in viewing the rest of the posts in this series.

22 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking the time to come and visit and comment on my blog - that means a lot! I really love your posts as well. This idea of witch hazel is so intriguing to me. I've never used it, but heard lots about it. As I live in Australia, I'm not sure where I would buy it. I don't think I've ever seen it in our stores, but maybe I'm not looking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know what I absolutely love about your blog? You make everything so simple to understand. Thank you for posting this. I quit using toner years ago because of the price. I am excited to add it back to my routine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I have been using witchel hazel or alcohol to remove make-up for years. However, I am thinking your method maybe even better!
    Olive oil is a great eye make-up remover and conditioner or moisturizer:)

    Blessings!
    www.womanonamission.info
    www.lohintl.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Journey,

    I also use olive oil to remove eye make-up. I have a whole post on it in the line-up for my skin care series. That stuff is absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am also a big fan of witch hazel! I use that in the morning and my oil cleaner in the evening.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also use witch hazel but I infuse mine with lavender, chamomile, and green tea for 2+ weeks before using it. It smells divine and the added herbs are great for your skin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Melissa, I love the sound of this concoction and was wondering if you could email the steps of how to make it (like how much of each ingredient you use). I would really appreciate it, thank you so much. My email address is gillian.wagner@yahoo.com

      Delete
    2. Melissa,Do you used herbal oil?

      Delete
  7. Melissa,

    That sounds like an awesome blend! I've been playing around with mine lately as well. I figure I need all the help I can get. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do love witch hazel, however I don't like the fact that is has alcohol in it. So I've done some research, and like you I love rosewater (just read your other post about it) and I found rose petal witch hazel that's alcohol free. Best of both worlds. The brand I use is "Thayers Natural Remedies", found at Whole Foods. The downside of this is that it's about 10 dollars for 12 fl oz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Callie! Thanks for sharing such a great find!!

      Delete
  9. Have you ever added a sprig or two of rosemary? It makes the witch hazel smell great and also feels wonderful on your skin! It has some wonderful benefits for the skin, but I can't remember them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never put rosemary in witch hazel, though I have used it in many other skin care items. It is wonderful for both the skin and scalp. Maybe I'll try that sometime!

      Delete
  10. My great grandmother lived to be in her late 90's, but she didn't look a day over 79. She used witch hazel for as long as I can remember. I am completely sold!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Before you apply, or allow someone else to apply makeup to your face, you must be sure you are properly caring for your delicate skin. Applying makeup to skin that has not been properly cared for has the potential to make a minor-bad situation worse; after all, makeup should be used to perfect your skin tone, not change it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is a great post, what you said is really helpful to me. I agree with you anymore. Also great blog here with all of the valuable information you have. Keep up the good work you are doing here. Thank you for sharing such a useful post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you very much for all your " beauty tips", you are such a help.
    I am "diva on a dime" and I benefit a lot from you, thank you,once again!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank for post! I need to try this.I noticed I am getting more wrinkle.ugh!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been using with hazel for years as well - my mother got me onto it as a teenager :) However recently I've changed it a little with fantastic results - I put green tea leaves in my bottle to infuse it. I found it helps soothe my skin even more (very sensitive) and of course helps with any breakouts!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just love this! I really like using witch hazel because it has a lot of beauty benefits. Thanks a lot for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow...your witch hazel is so cheap, TN Dickinson's is the one I use and in 2011 it was about $6.99 a bottle it is now nearly $8 a bottle, but I don't care, it lasts ages and it is the only thing I buy for skincare, everything else I make myself, well yes I guess I have to buy those ingredients as well, but when you make it yourself you save so much money as it lasts longer and the ingredients are much cheaper than those chemically produced skincare products.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like chocolate - totally addicting! Thanks for supporting my habit!