Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Skin Care Series ~ Pimple Buster


tea tree or Melaleuca Oil

Today I want to share an easy treatment for on-the-spot blemishes: tea tree oil.

Here are some interesting facts about tea tree oil according to Wikipedia:

Some sources suggest beneficial medical properties when applied topically, including antiviral,[7] antibacterialantifungal, and antiseptic qualities. It also has beneficial cosmetic properties.[8]
Tea tree oil is active against Staphylococcus aureus, including MRSA.[9] Also, there is clinical evidence that topical dermatological preparations containing tea tree oil may be more effective than conventional antibiotics in preventing transmission of CA-MRSA.[11]
Recent studies support a role for the topical application of tea tree oil in skin care and for the treatment of various diseases and conditions. Tea tree oil appears to be effective against bacteriavirusesfungal infectionsmites such as scabies, and lice such as head lice. A 2008 study of in vitro toxicity showed a tea tree oil preparation was more effective against head lice than permethrin, a popular pharmaceutical remedy.[12]
In the treatment of moderate common acnetopical application of 5% tea tree oil has shown an effect comparable to 5% benzoyl peroxide, albeit with slower onset of action.[13]
Tea tree oil is a known antifungal agent, effective in vitro against multiple dermatophytes found on the skin.[14] In vivoshampoo with 5% tea tree oil has been shown to be an effective treatment for dandruff due to its ability to treat Malassezia furfur, the most common cause of the condition.[15]

These are just some of the impressive facts about tea tree oil.  In fact, it is so beneficial that an entire company was founded on it

So, how do we use this wonderful essential oil to combat pimples?  Simply dab a bit of it on each pimple before bed after washing your face.  I have also been known to use it in the mornings if I'm not applying makeup right away.

You can usually find tea tree oil anywhere you can purchase essential oils.  Mountain Rose Herbs is a very reputable online company who sells it for $9.00 for a 1 ounce bottle of organic tea tree oil.  If you go to their site, check out more uses and interesting facts about it.  For instance, during WWII, cutters and producers of tea tree oil were exempt from military service until enough of this wonderful essential oil had been accumulated.

Here are a few more links about naturally treating pimples using...
clay and lavender essential oil 


Click here to view more posts in this series.

What do you use for on-the-spot- blemish control?


I'm sharing this with Teach Me TuesdaysFat TuesdayFrugal Days - Sustainable WaysMonday Mania and Your Green Resource.






11 comments:

  1. Interesting information. I've used tea tree oil before and it's great stuff. I didn't know all of that about it, though. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a lovely comment!

    I LOVE Tea Tree oil! I use it for home made baby wipes and I add a few drops to a vinegar/water mixture for my disinfecting spray in the bathroom. I need to think of some more ways to use it around the house.

    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  3. Margaret - I like that idea of using it as a disinfectant. I've never tried that, but I may have to give it a whirl. We've been trying to move more towards using natural cleaners rather than strong chemicals in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy ~ I'm so glad you found some helpful information. It really is great stuff with a ton of uses.

    Margaret ~ I love your name. It was my grandmother's. :0) Using it for baby wipes - awesome! I've been thinking I need to do a blog post with all the uses for tea tree oil since the stuff is so amazing. Kudos to you for putting it in your all purpose cleaner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love tea tree oil. I use it for my daughters wipes. Never thought to use it for blemishes! Thank you! I am going to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The objective is to attack the known cause and visible effects of acne.
    怎么治疗青春痘

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the fantastic article. The place else could anyone get that kind of info in such a perfect means of writing? I have a presentation next week, and I am at the search for such information.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm really enjoying the design and layout of your site. It's a very easy on the eyes which makes it much
    more enjoyable for me to come here and visit more often.
    Did you hire out a developer to create your theme? Outstanding
    work!

    Here is my page :: Subutex Withdrawal
    My webpage :: Heroin Treatment Centers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I just used a template. Really simple. Free. :-)

      Delete
  9. Hi there would you mind sharing which blog platform you're using? I'm looking to start my
    own blog soon but I'm having a difficult time selecting between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your layout seems different then most blogs and I'm looking for something unique.
    P.S My apologies for being off-topic but I had to ask!


    my page ... Addiction Clinic

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi im new in trying out my lwn home made skin care.mymajor issue is how to improve shelf life. Any idea?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like chocolate - totally addicting! Thanks for supporting my habit!