Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Soft Ginger Cookies

Yesterday was our last day of homeschool group for the year and we had a Christmas Cookie Exchange.  Although I am not supposed to eat gluten, I participated anyway.  I've always thought it would be fun to do a cookie exchange and thought at the very least I could freeze the ones I bring home and serve to company.


I am a lover of all things spicy, ginger, etc.  So, on that note, I made Soft Ginger Cookies.  Here's the recipe.






SOFT GINGER COOKIES


2 1/4 c. all purpose flour
2 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 c. butter, softened
1 c. sugar
1 egg
1/4 c. molasses
2 Tbsp. sugar


Here's How...


1. Preheat oven to 350 F.  Combine flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt.  Set aside.  In a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat butter for 30 seconds.  Add 1 c. sugar.  Beat until fluffy.


2.  Add egg and molasses - beat well.  Add half the flour mixture at a time and beat until just combined.  


3.  Shape into 1" balls.  Roll in 2 Tbsp. sugar.  Place on un-greased cookie sheets or baking stone 2" apart.  Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes or until light brown and puffed.  Let cool for 2 minutes before transferring to wire racks or plate to finish cooling.


Makes about 36 cookies.


I'm linking this to Teach Me Tuesdays and These Chicks Cooked.

7 comments:

  1. My husband LOVES ginger cookies, so I'm pinning this recipe of yours so I can bake some for him.

    Today is his birthday and I think I'll be busy working on the cake, otherwise I'd whip up a batch right away!

    Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy baking and a very Happy Birthday to your hubby!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look yummy - I'm going to try them!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm a total texture monster - i like pretty much every flavor under the noonday sun but texture gets me. i especially don't care for anything super hard and crunchy (i have a weird fear of my teeth falling out and crunching = cracking = bye bye teeth).... SO:

    i love these. ginger is one of my all time favorite flavors - i may need to break them up over some vanilla ice cream. hope you don't mind ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love ginger cookies, and they are a favorite of my father's. I'm definitely going to try these. Bookmarking this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kristy Lynn ~ I get the whole teeth thing. I went through a phase where I dreamed that my teeth crumbled and fell out. And, these would be awesome crumbled on top of ice cream!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like chocolate - totally addicting! Thanks for supporting my habit!