Thursday, January 5, 2012

vegetable beef soup

Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn and cauldron bubble.
Shakespeare ~ from Macbeth


Yesterday I showed you my new cast iron Dutch oven and how to season it.  Today I want to share with you an old stand-by recipe that I made in it.  When I was growing up, Saturday's were marked by a huge pot of some sort of soup or chili on the stove.  As various family members or friends dropped by the house, there was always plenty to share. This is one of those recipes. It's one of those soups that I turn to all the time when the cold weather sets in. Keep in mind that if you don't like an ingredient you can skip it.  You can also add more of something that you love - or add another ingredient that you think would be awesome.  This is just a guideline.


Vegetable Beef Soup and Gluten-free Cornbread


VEGETABLE BEEF SOUP


2 pounds stew beef
1 medium to large sized onion, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
3 large carrots, peeled and sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 potatoes, washed and diced
1 quart green beans, drained
1 cup red wine, optional
1 large can (49.5 oz) beef broth
salt and pepper
thyme


How to:


Heat your pot with some oil on med-high heat. I used lard. Once it's nice and hot, add your stew beef. Brown it on all sides, by stirring occasionally. Next, add your onion and garlic and just a bit of salt and pepper. If you add the salt and pepper in stages, the soup will have a richer flavor because one ingredient won't taste flat.  


Once the onion starts to become translucent, add the wine if you're using it. If not, use 1 cup of your broth. Although the wine is optional, I feel it really adds a depth to the flavor that you won't get otherwise. Turn your heat down to medium and let cook for about 5 minutes while you prepare your other vegetables. As they're cleaned and chopped, add the celery, carrots and potatoes in that order. Add the rest of your broth, cover and simmer until the carrots and potatoes are tender.  


Once your veggies are done, add the green beans. Taste the broth and add bit more salt and pepper and some thyme. I didn't measure the thyme, but I would start with a couple of teaspoons for this amount of soup. Let the soup simmer for about another half hour to marry the flavors. Just before serving, taste the broth and adjust the seasonings again, if necessary.


Notes:


It's better to add seasonings a bit at a time. You can always add more, but can't take it out if you add too much.  


This is a huge batch of soup. I feel it's better to make more and then have extra to freeze for lunches or another dinner because it's no extra work. If that's not your bag, cut the recipe in half.


If you don't have a garden and can your own beans, use two cans of store bought beans instead.


Sometimes I add corn to this. You could also add parsnips, green pepper, mushrooms or any other veggie you love. Also, you could add rice, barley or noodles to the broth at the time you add your green beans.


If you make steak, roasts or ribs - save those bones and make your own beef stock. Not only will it save you $$, it doesn't get any more nutritious than homemade bone broth. We just bought a grass-fed cow and I have a freezer full of bones that I will be using to make lots of broth with with the next week or so. Unfortunately, I didn't have it ready for this pot of soup.


Do you have a favorite soup recipe that you turn to all the time?


I'm linking up with Simple Lives ThursdayThese Chicks CookedCast Party Wednesday and Homestead Barn Hop.

7 comments:

  1. Mmm. Sounds perfect for this time of year.

    I love soup. The one I make most often is ham and bean soup. There is no recipe, really, I just throw it together, cook it forever, then eat it for days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grace ~ Those tend to be the best kind of soups! Sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just made beef soup yesterday! I make my own broth from saved bones, with the pressure cooker. It makes the bones really soft and then the dog devours those. When I open a can or jar of vegetables that has liquid in it, or when I steam-blanch vegetables, I save the water in freezer containers and I use this in my beef vegetable soup. Yesterday I added a can of chopped tomato, some cut-up onion, carrot and celery, and some barley. Oregano, basil, thyme, fennel and garlic as seasonings. If I add grain to my soup I don't use potatoes or beans. Sometimes I make cornbread to have with it and sometimes yeast rolls of some kind. It was sure good!

    There's nothing like hot soup to take the chill off the day, and it's so good for you. That's such a good habit to get into -- soup every Saturday! Hugs, Ilene

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmm - I could certainly do with some of this on a day like today! Thanks for visiting my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been looking for a vegetable beef recipe for awhile......most of them take so long and have so many ingredients....but this one is so simple......thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. How much thyme in the soup recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just add it to taste like you would salt and pepper.

      Delete

Comments are like chocolate - totally addicting! Thanks for supporting my habit!